UFC Heavyweight Champion Contender Alistair Overeem tests Positive for elevated testosterone
Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is unlikely to fight champion Junior Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC) for the UFC heavyweight title this summer at UFC 146.
Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the No. 1 heavyweight contender failed a pre-fight drug test conducted this past Tuesday following a press conference for UFC 146.
Overeem’s “A” sample was flagged for an elevated T/E ratio that exeeded 10-to-1, well over the 6-to-1 limit. Kizer said the heavyweight has the right to request the test’s “B” sample, which, if negative, would make him eligible to receive a fight license.
The former Strikeforce champion was among six top-billed fighters who were tested for the all-heavyweight pay-per-view event, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. All were tested for diuretics, masking agents, anabolic steroids and T/E ratios in addition to drugs of abuse.
Dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva all passed their tests.
It’s not the first time Overeem has run afoul of the NSAC. He was granted a conditional license to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 141 after missing a pre-fight drug test ordered by the commission, which reinstated out-of-competition testing this past July.
Answering to the commission via telephone during an NSAC hearing held three weeks prior to UFC 141, Overeem said he missed the test because he had flown back to his native Holland to care for his ailing mother and wasn’t made aware of the obligation. When he got word, he submitted an invalid blood test conducted by his personal doctor and then submitted urine that wasn’t tested.
The NSAC gave him a license on the condition that he submit to a drug test conducted by an accredited laboratory, which he did two days later (and subsequently passed), as well as pass a drug test upon arriving in the U.S. for the Lesnar fight and submit to two random tests.
This past Tuesday’s test served as one of those random tests, which also followed a fight-night test at UFC 141.
Because Overeem’s conditional license expired on Dec. 31, the NSAC will not receive a disciplinary complaint against him as it does for licensed athletes. Instead, he will need to appear before the commission should he choose to apply for a license, which notably, hadn’t been filed for UFC 146.
With one half of May 26’s event on the shelf, the UFC may give one of the main-card heavyweights an impromptu title shot.
USA TODAY MMA
After a Tuesday hearing in Las Vegas, the Nevada Athletic Commission denied Overeem a license to fight in the wake of a test last month that showed he has significantly elevated ratio of testosterone-to-epitestosterone. He has to wait nine months before reapplying.
The ruling was a bit of a concession from the commission, which can enforce a waiting period as long as one year after refusing to issue a license.
MORE: Overeem blames medicine
STORY: Mir to face Dos Santos
Overeem’s camp wanted a continuance of 45-to-60 days to gather more expert testimony to support its client’s case. But after a brief deliberation with his fellow commissioners, chairman Raymond Avansino elected to proceed with the hearing.
Overeem’s attorney, David Chesnoff, asked the commission to consider granting a conditional license, basing his argument largely on the testimony of Dr. Hector Molina, who said he injected Overeem with testosterone in January and provided additional doses of what the physician called “tetra mix” — a blend of anti-inflammatory medicine, along with testosterone — for the fighter to administer himself.
Overeem said that on March 23 he injected one of them on March 23 after consulting with the physician via phone. The fighter told that commission that because of nagging rib injuries bothering him during a press tour for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, he phoned Molina and asked if it was safe to take another dose. Molina assured him that it was, according to Overeem.
But Overeem was tested on March 27 following a Las Vegas press conference to promote May’s UFC 146 event, which was supposed to feature Overeem vs. UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos. The test revealed Overeem had a 14-to-1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio, more than twice the 6-to-1 ratio allowed for fighters in Nevada.
At Tuesday’s hearing, Chesnoff focused on his client’s lack of understanding about Molina’s injection.
Overeem said he first met Molina in June 2011, when Strikeforce held an event in Dallas. Molina worked with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversees combat sports in the state, to inspect fighters competing on the June 18 event.
In March, UFC and Pride Fighting Championships veteran Tra Telligman, a Dallas resident, recommended Overeem visit Dr. Molina to address the lingering injuries, at which point Molina recommended and administered the “tetra mix,” according to Overeem’s team.
For much of Tuesday’s session, Nevada commissioners pressed Molina for details about his work with Overeem, as well as outlining exactly what was administered and why.
The commission stuck to the basic principle of fighters being responsible for all chemicals in their bodies, but appeared to offer some sympathy toward Overeem’s plight.
Overeem’s exclusion from May’s UFC 146 event has already cost him a large opportunity and full paycheck, Commissioner Bill Brady said. Had Overeem failed a post-fight drug test, he likely would have been fined any win bonus and 30% of his show money, still leaving him with 70% of his base purse. As such, commissioners unanimously voted for a nine-month waiting period rather than the customary 12 months before reapplying for a license.
The suspension was backdated to the March 27 press conference, so Overeem can apply again on Dec. 27. While it would be a tight window, commissioner Francisco Aguilar suggested Overeem would be eligible for the UFC’s customary year-end event, which is expected to take place Dec. 29 in Las Vegas.
In the meantime, the commission made it clear it doesn’t want to see Overeem applying for a license or competing under the jurisdiction of another commission.
Following the ruling, the fighter declined to comment.
That’s harsh! What if it was an older fighter such as Randy Couture a suspension like that would end his career for good! 9mo is a long time!
Copyright © 2012 louisjbianco All Rights Reserved.